At my family Easter potlucks we always have a lot of tasty and wonderful desserts. Because my cooking skills have improved since I started at ONIE, I decided that I would like to add to the dessert menu at our family potluck this year. I knew I wanted to bring something that was sweet yet good for my family as well. Here at the ONIE Project we created a healthy Easter treat that you can share with your family and friends that includes bananas, apples, and strawberries. They are both yummy and nutritious!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup of 1% low fat milk
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp of mashed banana
Cream Cheese Icing (Optional):
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- .5 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp water
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix ingredients. Stir ingredients in bowl until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into muffin pan. Fill each muffin cup a little over half way full.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and water in a small bowl until smooth.
- After muffins are cool top with icing. Add extra strawberries to top to decorate!
Note: If you prefer your muffins to be more moist and gooey reduce baking time.
I hope you and your families enjoy this recipe and have a wonderful Easter!
This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). To find out more, call your local Department of Human Services (DHS) Office at 1.866.411.1877. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.